Thursday, February 7, 2008

Starting at the beginning

So, I've been single for about a year. It's been a long year for sure. My boyfriend broke up with me, then wanted me back. I was not going back. So since then, there have been some boys that caught my attention, but none that wanted mine. Then a friend of mine, Darcy, talked to me about this website called http://www.plentyoffish.com/. So I went to check the site out. It looked interesting. I know a few people that have found lasting relationships (and good ones too!) from guys that they have met through sites like this. It's not like I'm meeting men at work or when I go out...and it was worth a shot.
I was on the phone with Darcy the entire time I made my profile. It was an interesting experience. There's really not much that I can say about myself that doesn't make me sound like a lame ass or like Slutty McWhorepants. There is a very fine line between the two. I would want to say things like "I like a man that can cook a good breakfast" and then I thought that it made me sound like I would often be spending the night. I also thought about saying that I was "looking for a good time". We all know how that would play out. So instead, I went with my normal rambling and hoped for the best.
I now give you the stories of my excitement with this website. I only made my profile a few days ago, but already, there have been some excellent characters. There have been two that aren't total creeps. But as the title says, there are plenty more creeps.

The thing is, I’m done with fixer-upper boys. I no longer want to play “flip that boyfriend”. I’m not looking for perfect. I know I won’t find that and I won’t like it. I am looking for someone with not too much baggage. I don’t expect to find someone with no baggage, but someone with slightly less baggage. I need someone that can carry on their baggage. In the airport that is my life, carry on is best. Everyone’s got something, I know this. But if you have that thing and you can carry it with you and not let it change your trip, that’s good. I’m looking for a lot in that aspect, I guess. I’m sure I’m not going to find them on the internets, but you know…it’s possible. At this point, I’m willing to give things I may have written off in the past a try. It’s not like I’m old or anything, but my opportunities to meet people are really limited. In college, there are many boys. And they’re at the bar and in your classes and in your dorms…they’re everywhere! There's people like my friend Summer that somehow managed to find a guy not from college...and she's happily married.

I’m very skeptical about this entire thing. I don’t think that anyone is going to come along, but I’m going with it. I said I would do it with Darcy and here I go. Maybe she’ll find someone. I would really like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Maybe she’ll find someone. I would really like that."

I would like that too. *Breaks into song and dance* We're all in this together...

Your part on baggage reminded me of a fabulous line..."We've all got our junk, and my junk is you" THAT is the sort of baggage I could carry on. :)